Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chapter 2 Serendipidy

One month went by. Succoring my wounded heart selfishly displaced all other activities on my social calendar. It was starting to become a full-time job. So I distracted myself with my studies which was helpful because nursing school was rigorous. During spring semester I spent clinical time observing in the operating room, which fascinated me. I was familiar with studying the inside of the human body, but this time the body was open, alive and functioning right before my eyes.

I came home exhausted one afternoon and flung myself on the bed. With it being so soon after my breakup with Chris, quiet moments like these were usually filled with self-pity driven by loneliness. But for some reason, today was different. A penetrating thought of Parke, that blue-eyed brainiac from anatomy, breached my mind. The thought of him was overpowering.


Hmmm, that’s funny. I haven’t thought of him since that day in the hallway and now I can’t shake it. I wonder why he never wrote me. Maybe I’ll send him a message.


Instead of letting the thought smolder, I thought I’d give it some kindling. I got up and sat down at the computer to search for his email address in the BYU directory.


I didn’t realize it until years later but that distinct, intrusive thought of Parke was preparing me. It was right on schedule too, because when I opened up my inbox I let out a little gasp.


A waiting email, from Parke Fischer, 5 minutes ago.


What’s the chance of that? (I don’t believe in chance)


I opened it.


“Hey Ashley,

How’s life been treating you? Just thinking about you over here in Wyoming. Life’s been treating me well. I’m enjoying the summertime. Tell me if this email reaches you. Take care!
Always, Parke”


Weird! I hadn’t thought of Parke since that day of the final exam and then, as if we were telepathically linked, he contacted me the same moment that I was sitting down to write him. I began to reply. Wait; am I ready to jump into something new? Although I was officially “broken up”, my heart was spoken for.

No comments: